Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The writer in me…

…is always looking for one thing.

There’s this girl who works at my favorite teriyaki joint. She’s very nice, always smiling. She knows my name and knows my order. She’s pretty, she’s sweet. She seems very smart; when I see her on break, she’s always studying. The other gals who work the counter are grumpy and scowl at the customers a lot. But this girl – I never see her so much as give a customer a dirty look.

And so I always wonder: What’s her flaw?

We all have them. Lord knows I have more than most. But it’s the interesting thing, the flaws. Character flaws drive every story ever written. The character who is just nice is the victim; the one things happen to. And they’re never written well. The nice character is never fleshed out as more than “nice”. Because if you dig deep enough into anyone, you find the flaws.

I don’t know if I’m a cynic because I started looking for the flaws, or if I started looking for the flaws because I’m a cynic. Maybe it’s a bit of both. Regardless, I know this: I always look, and they’re always there. I just have to get enough time to see them.

1 comment:

Psyber Wolf said...

Doesn’t Killing those cute little cats and dog count as a character flaw? I'm sure she is the one doing it, and that makes the grumpy people sad, "thats why they are grumpy"

Don’t get me wrong I love Teriyaki, I usually get chicken-chow-meow at least three times a week.

Some where however, is a little kid crying because their small cats and dogs don’t come back home. Breaking a small kids heart is a character flaw.

Little dogs? C’mon folks, where do you think the “Chow” comes from.