Friday, October 19, 2007

Clothing, and sometimes the lack thereof

My preference for wearing a kilt is pretty well known among my friends. Therefore, I am embarrassed to say that I did not know that today is Kilt Day, and I as a result I am not wearing a kilt. Damn these unofficial, anonymously declared special days!



As best I can tell, Kilt Day may have been declared by Kiltmen.com. So it's quite arbitrary. And perhaps a little redundant, since Glenlivet sponsors Wear Your Kilt to Work Day on April 15. Still, the stigma that still gets attached to kilt-wearing rears its ugly head far too often, so us kilt wearers need to stick together. One of my friends and few actual readers is a perpetrator of this anti-kilt prejudice, so I enjoy flaunting my man-skirt around him whenever I can.

I do get some crap from guys when I go about kilt-ed, but I don't much care. They just don't have the cajones to wear ones themselves. That's their loss. Kilts are quite comfortable.

Also, the majority of ladies, it has been my experience, love a man in a kilt. Part of it, I am sure, is the perceived mystery of whether or not a man wears an undergarment beneath his kilt. My answer, regardless of the questioner's gender, age (well - as long as they're over 18), or anything else, is always the same: I just say, "There's only one way to find out!"

Moving on!

Another thing I am well known for is taking my shirt off anytime I am indoors and am allowed to. Having an excess of insulation (read: fat), I get far too warm wearing a shirt in a room-temperature environment. And that is why I love Improv Everywhere's latest prank: to poke fun at Abercrombie & Fitch's homoerotic advertising that constantly features shirtless men (more like boys in most cases), Improv Everywhere sent 111 shirtless men in to shop for shirts at Aberzombie & Bitch (as I like to call them). A "no-shirt, no-shoes, no-service" policy makes sense in an eating establishment, but in a clothing store? Don't you want to sell shirts to the shirtless? But no, A&F kicked them out.

This reminded me of something I did last week. I had gone into a store to purchase some new underwear for myself. I was wearing a kilt when I did so.

I love irony, and practice it whenever possible.

- Mattbear out.

5 comments:

Wiwille said...

I'm just jealous that I couldn't pull off that look.

Mattbear said...

"Wiwille said...
I'm just jealous that I couldn't pull off that look."

I know.

Miles Orion said...

The only reason I don't have a kilt is I don't know if I'm a Cameron or a MacPherson.


Maybe I should just play it safe then and get an Irish one.

Mattbear said...

Get yourself a Utilikilt. They're more comfortable and easier to wear than traditionals.

Unknown said...

I came across your blog by a google search, and I enjoyed reading your posts. Great wit. I am a pert near full time kilt wearing guy in Seattle, and I am now employed by Utilikilts after being a cook for the last 9 years. I am married and have one toddler aged son. I started a podcast called This Kilted Life about being a kilt wearing guy in a pants wearng world, but since working more than full time, I haven't done much in the show in some time.

Great to see more bloggers in kilts, and keep it up, I am putting you on my RSS feeds, so you better keep up the good writing!

Thanks
Kilted Eric

kiltederic.com
thiskiltedlife.com

kiltederic@gmail.com