Friday, November 18, 2005

Musical Relevance

This morning, on the way to work, I heard a relatively new Nine Inch Nails song. Now, I like NIN, have ever since I heard "Closer", but I was not impressed by this song (I have no idea what the title is). I mean, it's typical NIN, so it's not bad...got the rythm and feel and all, but I was just...meh.

I listened to the lyrics, and realized why I was unimpressed. You see, Trent Reznor is old (40). And I'm old. But Trent is still singing teen angst. This song has lyrics (something) like "Sick of trying to fit in/You know how that feels/It doesn't matter, doesn't matter anymore". Gee, thanks Trent. At 32, I got over that shit and became comfortable with who I am nearly a decade ago. I think most of NIN's fans now are the same people who were NIN fans when Downward Spiral came out....I just don't believe NIN draws a lot of water with the teens nowadays. We got on a train called adulthood, Trent; why don't you come with us?

Part of maintaining your relevance in the music industry, if you were influential in the first place, is re-inventing yourself and your art every so often. Trent has close ties to David Bowie, who is perhaps one of the models of re-invention. When Bowie started trying to be more Trent-like around '95, he had already re-invented himself dozens of times, artistically speaking. While not a big fan of Bowie's music, I do recognize his talent and have a lot of respect for him, partially because of his attempts to change himself and his art. Personally, I enjoyed the Tin Machine phase, a band few people other than myself and Tali remember.

Now, I'm not saying every music artist has to do this re-invention. AC/DC has cruised along playing blues-based hard rock for 30 years now, and while I wish they would retire, they certainly shouldn't bust out with a rap album or something. They were and always will be a one trick pony. But when the key to your early success is teen-angsty lyrics, you either have to a) change the theme of your music over time or b) get new angsty teens as your fan base.

No idea why I wrote this up...just something I was thinking about. Anyway, Mattbear out. :)

4 comments:

Wiwille said...

Back in high school when Pretty Hate Machine came out I remember snagging a copy and listening to it until the tape wore out. I wanted them to be huge, but right afterwards Nirvana and Pearl Jam came out. NIN would have to wait until the Downward Spiral to become real big, especially in my small town.

Mattbear said...

I was so into metal/hard rock when Pretty Hate Machine came out, I took no notice of NIN...I never heard them until Downward Spiral came out. But the first time I heard Closer, I just thought, here's a band I have to take a closer look at.

Anonymous said...

The song is probably Only. LOVE IT... Check out the Video http://nin.com/visuals/index.html

Andrea =)

Anonymous said...

Oh and I am comfortable enough with myself to admit that I like it regardless of how much you and Erik will make fun of me for it =)~

~Andrea again