Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What comes around, goes around

There's a news story out this week that exemplifies a little phrase I use sometimes. When a weird coincidence happens, I'll say "God's playing Nintendo with my life."

I don't believe in God, but it's how I feel sometimes when the same people pop up randomly in my life or the same theme keeps cropping up all day. The closest I've come to the weirdness in this news story was when I was in a motorcycle wreck and one of the surgeons who worked to repair my spleen was the doctor who lived across the street from my grandparents. This was not too surprising, though, since it was in the small town of Pendleton, Oregon.

But this news story happened in the not-so-small town of Buffalo, NY...a teenage dishwasher who also happened to be a volunteer fireman performed the Heimlech on a woman choking in the restaurant...who turned out to be a nurse who performed CPR on him and saved his life seven years earlier.

In other weird news, last week a judge in Tacoma ordered her courtroom to cheer "Go Seahawks" before starting a manslaughter trial. Talk about poor judgement (pun very much intended). Somebody that insensitive should be remanded to handling traffic ticket court only.

Mitchell Rupe, the robber/killer too fat to die, finally died. Rupe was supposed to be executed long ago, but weighing 400 pounds he argued that hanging (then Washington's default execution method) would decapitate him, which constituted cruel and unusual punishment. He could have chosen lethal injection, but refused to, thus saving himself from execution. He also had cirrohsis of the liver and hepatitis C that were slowly killing him anyway, and even tried to get a liver transplant to save him from that. Luckily, the state refused to waste a good liver on a murderer. The state changed the primary execution method from hanging to lethal injection just to make sure we didn't wind up with another un-executable fatty sometime down the road.

Politics! I haven't posted anything political here in awhile, so here you go. Rep. John Murtha, already getting good press on the sane side of things for calling for a near immediate withdrawal from Iraq, put another bitch slap on the Bushites by publishing an open letter to Bush with a 4-point plan for withdrawal and rebuilding our security and military. God damn, this is the only person in politics who sounds even half way intelligent to me right now. If the Dems put Wesley Clark up in '08 with Murtha as his VP, I would vote for that ticket in a heartbeat. They put Clinton anywhere on the ticket, I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do.

Alrighty! Enough for now. Mattbear out.

2 comments:

Mattbear said...

Ummm...Nancy Pelosi is House Minority Leader, has been since '02. The Republicans just put in a new Majority Leader since that dirtbag Delay had to step down, but they just replaced him with another "grade A" dirtbag, Rep. John Boehner - the guy who used to literally hand out checks from tobacco lobbyists to congressmen on the House floor.

Wiwille said...

The idea of Hillary running scares the living crap out of me. For the sake of all democrats I pray she doesn't run.

McCain seems to be really gearing up for 2008 as well.

Oh Canada my home and sacred....