Monday, June 02, 2008

The Blues just got a little bit bluer

I am a big fan of Blues music. Years ago, I realized that the best blues musicians were very old, and likely wouldn't be around much longer. Muddy Waters and many others were already retired or dead, but three stood out in my mind, and I vowed that I would see those three perform live before they died or quit.

The first was John Lee Hooker, who really defined my love for blues music. I got to see him perform in 1995. He died six years later.

Second was B.B. King, arguably the biggest name in blues. I got to see him perform just a couple of years ago, with young whippersnapper (by blues standards) Kenny Wayne Shepherd opening. It was an amazing show. King is still alive and performing, so I hope actually to be able to see him perform live again.

Last but not least was Bo Diddley, rabble-rouser and self-proclaimed founder of rock 'n' roll. I got to see him perform live in 2000, as part of the opening celebration for the Experience Music Project. I saw a lot of great musicians perform that day, but it stands out mostly for getting to see this guy play.

But Bo Diddley died today. Which is sad, but part of life, and makes me a little bit happier that my trifecta of old blues musicians I wanted to see in concert before they died was a goal I was actually able to accomplish.

1 comment:

DJ Launchpad said...

While it is sad that Bo Diddle passed. I still have to rub it in that I got to see BB King UP close!! :P hahahaha

Love ya Bro!! :D