Tuesday, August 01, 2006

R.I.P. Caroline

Well, it seems Caroline, my trusty '96 Saturn, has probably run her last mile. The radiator developed a nasty leak and the engine overheated severely as I tried to limp her home. The overheating seems to have taken out some other systems, like the power steering, ABS, and all the gauges. Lord only knows why. Given that the Blue Book on her would be something like $700 in "Fair" condition, I don't think it's going to be worth it to repair her.

Caroline gave me a good 10 years and nearly 200,000 miles, including over a year of pizza delivery that was very hard on her. But as they say, they just don't make 'em like they used to. I think she's gone for good.

I considered turning her into an electric car when the mechanicals gave out, but I think the cost and limited range (which won't help much living in the boonies) will prevent that, especially given the fact that every car I own is in need of repairs of one sort or another. Of course, I have to find the title before I can get rid of Caroline, so who knows how long she'll be sitting in the driveway before I dig that up. Maybe long enough to actually give her a second life as an eco-friendly-mobile.

3 comments:

Memophage said...

And we were just talking the other day about how you were amazed she'd lasted this long. Guess we forgot to knock on wood.

Maybe you'll quit harrassing me about the stain on the back seat floor now. :)

Mattbear said...

NEVER! You defiled my (then) brand-new car, the first weekend I had it. I will never let you live that down.

Anonymous said...

Oh yah, I was even around to hear that one when it happend, The stainer is now known and the online name is now attached. memophage the stainer!!

-Psyber