Tuesday, August 08, 2006

This isn't Nam, Smokey; there are rules...



If you've never seen The Big Lebowski, go now and see it. Like right now. Tell the boss you feel sick, hit a video rental place and get it, go home and watch it. Of the Coen Brothers' stellar body of work, this is by far my favorite. It rocks. Go, now, go watch it; I'll still be here. Come back and read more when you're done.

Some other, more industrious, fans of Lebowski from Louisville, KY created an annual event called the Lebowskifest. This September will see the 5th such fest in Louisville. I have wanted to go since I first heard of this thing, but funds and time off never permitted such a trip. Fans gather, they drink, they bowl. They dress up as characters from the movie. Actors from the movie, and the real-life guy who inspired the character of The Dude, show up.

Other Achievers (as fans of the film are now known) who couldn't make the trip to Louisville wanted more locations, so the creators of the Lebowskifest took their show on the road. There have been Lebowskifests in LA, Austin, and Vegas. I didn't get to go to those, either.

But I'm on the mailing list, and get all the news on the fest. And in the most recent newsletter, near the bottom, it said:

"The next Lebowski Fest will be in the Spring of 2007. We're looking at the Northwest... More to come."

Oh yeah. I am sooooo there. I will be costumed as Walter. Launchpad has said he will go dressed as The Dude himself, not surprising as he embodies Dudeness. His wife intends to go as Bunny Lebowski, which should be interesting since she only appears in the movie in a bikini. My wife has said she would go dressed as Maude. Now we just have to find a Donny, and maybe a Jesus.

4 comments:

Memophage said...

Sign me up, dude. :)

Wiwille said...

I want to be Jesus, cause you never fuck with the Jesus.

Mattbear said...

Heh...awesome. Actually, Memophage, there was discussion of recruiting you to be our Donny.

Wiwille...we'll have to get you a purple jumpsuit. And start growing that coke nail.

Walter, what's a "pederast"?

Memophage said...

Heh.. I could dress up as a coffee can...